U2 sucks

• Josh

Last week, Daniel Lanois, producer-extraordinaire, told a Canadian radio station that U2 is working on a new album that'll be out for the fall, with production credit going to him and Brian Eno.

Is it wrong that I'm more excited about Lanois and Eno together than about the actual album they're producing?

Well, no, because U2 is, simply put, the most overrated band of all-time.

There are certain artists and bands that get way too much credit, critically or commercially (I'm looking at you, Elton John). But to be overrated, both of those criteria must be met, meaning critics need to rave about them and they've also got to sell millions of albums.

U2's songs revolve around Bono's howling and his emphasizing every word he sings, Adam Clayton's boring bass lines, Larry Mullen, Jr.'s non-descript drumming, and The Edge's chiming guitar work that sounds good in a arena, but has very little substance or emotion.

In 2004, Rolling Stone called them the 22nd greatest band of all-time (ahead of bands like the Band), and they've sold over 170 million albums worldwide, resulting in higher sales than Bob Dylan by well over 50 million.

But that doesn't mean they don't suck.

Where does this near-universal success come from? I'll admit that I like War but that's because it’s easy to digest. Tracks like “Elevation” and “One” don't require much thought, and sound catchy on the radio. Those songs, and many others in their catalogue, are horribly derivative and haven't introduced any new ideas to rock.

Universal messages of love, peace, and freedom help U2's overrated cause. There are very few instances where something Bono writes makes you stop and think because most of his lyrics are like this: “I threw the dice when they pierced his side/But I've seen love conquer the great divide.” Bono is, of course, referring to Jesus, a common theme in his lyrics.

U2 also lucked out and formed at exactly the right time. Their first album, Boy, was released in 1980, a time when good rock ‘n’ roll was becoming increasingly hard to find on the radio. But just because they filled a void doesn't mean they should be listened to nearly three decades later.

A band also should be measured by whom they’ve inspired, and the bands they’ve inspired include the Killers and Coldplay, who are essentially U2, Part Deux. And terrible.

The next time you hear someone call U2 the “most important and influential band of the post-punk era,” as MSNBC.com did, punch them in the face. Or just say to them, as Stan Marsh tells Bono on South Park, “At some point, can't you just kinda…fuck off?”

• maurice

josh, als je U2 niks vindt, ga je eigen anti-site oprichten en hopelijk voor jou krijg je veel aanhangers.

Kun je klagen tot je een ons weegt

de groeten.

• Ron

Josh mag toch best een negatief stuk over U2 plaatsen?

Ik zie daar het probleem niet van in.

Vrienden van me zijn vaak ook kritisch over U2. En in sommige gevallen kan ik het alleen maar eens zijn met ze.

Net als elke band is niet alles wat U2 doet goed. Daar is ook niks mis mee.

• maurice

ha ron,

een discussie voeren is geen probleem en positieve kritiek geven ook niet. hier kan je van leren en sterker worden als je er je voordeel mee doet. maar deze josh kopieert een tekst die U2 helemaal afbrandt. Als U2 werkelijk zo slecht was hadden ze echt geen miljoenen luisteraars en fans.

als josh eens vertelt wat U2 moet doen om in zijn ogen beter te worden dan mag hij dit hier vermelden. dat werkt beter dan afkraken.

grrrrr.

• U2C

(tu)

• Petra2012

U2 is geweldig, en jij mag er een andere mening op nahouden!

Ik ben al sinds het begin fan. Ik vind hun Cd's ietsje minder, maar ga voor de lifeconcerten cd's. Die draai ik heel veel, hun optredens zijn ook altijd geweldig.Als ze zo vreselijk waren , waarom zouden er dan zoveel mensen naartoe gaan. Ik ken geen andere band die dit voorelkaar krijgt. Hoop dat ze nog een tijdje doorgaan.!

• Petra2012

Ik koop hun echte CD's altijd, maar vind de CD's waar ik zelf ook geweest ben leuker

• it´s me

Freedom of speech…..just be a wise man about when and where to express yourself.

Did you know ****** sucks too ? (naar eigen inzicht in te vullen)

• tina

U2 is de beste band in de wereld. Er zijn altijd al U2 haters geweest maar die heeft Gerald Joling ook. Als je U2 niet meer goed vind, moet je maar wat anders gaan luisteren.

Mensen hebben tegenwoordig op alles kritiek. U2 zet zich in voor het goed doel, en heeft tenminste ook nog tijd voor hun fans, dit kan je van sommige bands niet zeggen.

• U2C

daar ben ik mee eens Tina